Deep Value: Why Activist Investors and Other Corporations Battle for Control of Losing Corporation

It is my first time commenting about the book I read. In 2015, the first investment-related book is 'Deep Value: Why Activist Investors and Other Corporations Battle for Control of Losing Corporation', written by Tobias E. Carlisle. I have read his other book, Quantitative Value last year. I found that 'Deep Value' book is more enjoyable than 'Quantitative Value' book. It is probably because I already know the materials given on 'Quantitative Value' book.

I enjoyed Chapter 1, Chapter 3, Chapter 6, Chapter 7, Chapter 8 and Chapter 9 of 'Deep Value' book. On Chapter 1, it addresses some questions of mine about Icahn. I have heard of him but I want to know more about what he does in the past investment quest - it is unfortunate that I cannot find the biography of Icahn in any library in Singapore.

On Chapter 3, we all know Warren Buffett well enough. However, Tobias wrote abit more clearer about how he investigated American Express during the salad oil scandal. Maybe, I forgot or miss that from the unofficial biographies.

Chapter 6 is something I didn't know about Litton Industries. Great knowledge for me to learn.

Chapter 7 is another piece of knowledge I didn't know. It is interesting to find someone doing activism in New Zealand. After reading that, I wanted to read 'Brierley: The Man Behind The Corporate Legend' book about that guy - sadly, not in any local library shelves.

Chapter 8 gives me better idea about the operation of the oil industry. I guess I should find some time to read a biography about T. Boone Pickens although I heard his name.

Chapter 9 seems to be continuation of what Icahn has done. This time, he was doing activism in the pharmaceutical industry. Tobias gave us the clue what type of listed companies activist investors will aim at.

Overall, it is good book to read to enhance your knowledge about the investing.

Comments

Popular Posts