Is there Oil Crisis?

Before I fly to Japan followed by USA, I will like to write my view of so-called oil crisis and a discussion of two investing-related books.

In Japan, I aim to study Japanese's consumption habits, personal culture, and companies. I feel reading books and articles about Japan is not enough. Hence, being impressed with cleanliness on the street in Tokyo (in my 2014 stopover visit), I decide to spend few weeks from March 2016 to April 2016 for any interesting insights

So-Called Oil Crisis

The media has been writing plenty of articles as if there is oil crisis over past few months.

Rather than oil crisis, it is a case of unexpected view which nobody thought of. The unexpected view is about letting the price of the oil declining while keeping the supply of the OPEC-owned oil unchanged. Because of that, the forecasted key figures went out of whack for banks, oil-related/dependant firms, and commodities-driven countries.

It will take time to adjust themselves in the face of changing economic climate. Eventually, the situation will improve once everybody get used to what has happened. By then, the stock prices are likely to experience mean reversion for years to come.

Book: Quality Investing: Owning the Best Companies for the Long Term
This book is written by Lawrence Cunningham et al. It is quite useful read for a seasoned quantitative investors who wish to incorporate qualitative aspects.

It is divided by 4 chapters:
1. Building Blocks
2. Patterns
3. Pitfalls
4: Implementation

I liked chapter 2 to 4. It is insightful to see case studies to illustrate the factors mentioned in these said chapters. However, it will be better if they add more case study discussions.

I plan to add this book in my bookshelf for further reading.

Book: Dear Chairman: Boardroom Battles and the Rise of Shareholder Activism
Jeff Gramm has written very well on this book. I highly recommend to any interested investors to read.

I never knew how Graham and Buffett handled with the investment of Northern Pipeline and American Express respectively. I felt happy for late Graham in the view of succeeding to force the board of directors to pay large dividend payout.

There are 8 activism battles selected by Jeff Gramm together with 8 original letters written to chairmen by 8 different investors.

Comments

Popular Posts